Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Kefir making and thinking about cheese making



I don't know if any of you have ever tried kefir (pronounced Key-fare) but I got hooked on it when I went to Iceland two years ago and everyone there was eating it like we eat yogurt over here.  I did some research and decided to try it when I read about all it's probiotic properties and how much more superior it is than yogurt and much easier to make.  I went to a health food store and bought some of the powdered starter and had great success for many months but as I did more research, I found out that the best way to make kefir is to use kefir grains. 

I ordered some from a lady in the US who sells 8 grains about the size of half a green pea for $10.  I got my eight grains in late November and started reconstituting them.  By now I have had much success to the point where I gave some to Sharm and Sophie today with the simple instructions on how to make their own.  I did read that you'll be eaten out of house and home with the profusion of kefir that the original 8 grains will eventually grow into and the lady was right.  So soon I am going to try my hand at making home made cheese . I found a great website with fabulous information and great pictures to go with the information.  It's called Dom's Kefir cheese making and the guy is great.  Dom's kefir cheese.  I am so intrigued by this that I am for sure going to try it.  I made kefir cottage cheese and kefir sour cream and I think I have made kefir laban which is great for dips. 

I used the kefir sour cream this morning to make two sponge cakes with maraschino cherries and cardamom.  I sent one with Sophie to the hospice for the nurses and a few slices for dad (even though I told him last week that I was not going to take anything more for him since he is not appreciative.  So much for my stern words.)  I was mad as heck last week I looked at him and saw that now he is a dying old man who is like an old dog with no teeth but likes to bark as if he can actually bite. 

I'm going to harvest my kefir from the next week and attempt the cheese. If you want to know how it turned out, you'll have to continue reading.  Apparently the process can take several months to several years so that's a lot of time you're going to have to invest in reading.  

Sharm, Trent, Sahana and Sabreena came over for haircuts today.  The grandbabies (yes I do know they are 6 and 3 but they are my babies along with Izzy (7) and Ronin (3) who are also my grandbabies no matter how old they are) had dhall and fresh roti that I made about 30 minutes before they arrived. It must be the Indian in them but that doesn't explain why Trent loves it too.  Maybe he's a Mennonite Indian - if there is such a person.  Sabreena was so cute.  She wanted a handful of smarties so she came to the kitchen really quietly and said "nan (instead of Nani), can I have a treat?" and gave me a kind of one sided smile from the corner of her eye.  So of course I melted and gave her a handful. Then Hana wanted some too.  When they were ready to leave, it was the same scenario so what did I do?  I gave in again.  I tell you, I am a total knock over for the sideways look from the corner of the eye.  She tried the same thing with a sippy cup I kept from when she was a baby.  She loves to drink from it when she comes over so of course I indulge her. 

That reminds me of when Subhadra was little and she used to want her banana loaf cut into 8 pieces (no more and no less or she wouldn't eat it) and she had to eat it with a toothpick.  So of course I let her.  Catherine used to tell me that I spoiled my kids and I used to say yes but they are mine to spoil and she'd soon grow out of it.  If that was the worse thing she could do at 4 or 5, I could live with it.  Sub, you are not going to think it was cute when you read this but it really was.  It makes me smile even when I think about it now.
 

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.  I am going to look at a two part movie that I recorded on the life of Che Guevara the Marxist revolutionary freedom fighter who helped Fidel Castro overthrow the Batista government in 1959.  Yes, this is my light weekend entertainment.

Take care all,
have a great start to your week.

1 comment:

  1. what are you talking about? i DO think that was cute!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.