Pages

Thursday, April 07, 2011

Isla;
We woke up very early this morning (6:30am) by our little alram clock - Ronin - who was hungry.  Sunita took him on the veranda and gave him a bowl of cereal.  He and I then went to the waterfront where the fishermen bring in their catch for the day and clean them to sell to restaurants for the day's menus.  We took some tortillas and crackers to feed the birds.  We saw a few pelicans and lots of gulls.  It's amazing how there are none around and as soon as I pull out some bread or crackers, they swoop down from nowhere and gobble up the food.  I was actually trying to see if we could see any fish swimming but the fisherman clean their fishes and throw the remnants into the water so the gulls and pelicans wait around for the food. I think the fish are smart enough to know to stay away from this spot until the birds have had their fill of fish entrails before showing up anywhere near the docks.

We walked along the pier and we saw a fishing boat.  Ronin wanted to know what it was and when I told him that it was a fishing boat, he waited for the man to take him fishing and was quite disappointed when I said that we had to leave.
Ronin waiting for his boat ride

On our way back to the hotel, we saw two roosters (or to use a more familiar term for some of us - fowl cocks) and Ronin was quite fascinated with them.  They were crowing several times and of course Ronin crowed all the way back to the hotel.  He's never seen a live rooster so he kept forgettng the name and kept referring to them as "osters".  I think he has it now.


We went off to the beach and spent about two hours in and out of the water with him.  He stayed in the water and we took turns in with him.  By the time he was done and we made it back to the hotel and he had his shower, I thought for sure that he would put his head in his plate of chicken and rice and have his nap.  He who loves to eat didn't want anymore lunch; he only wanted to go for a nap.  What a life.  Wake up, eat, play, swim, shower, eat, nap, eat, play... Get the picture?  The biggest thing he has to worry about is what to eat and how much.  I'll have to get a new box of crackers for him to eat this afternoon. This is the third box in as many days not because we are such cracker eaters but because I forgot that the humidity makes the crispness go out of the crackers in a few hours so we end up with some soggy tasting stuff. 

When I saw Ronin being so fascinated with the roosters this morning, I remember that Subhadra was almost 4 when we went to Guyana and we went to Auntie Bhano's house in Golden Fleece.  Subhadra saw some very little ducklings that were only about 2-3 days old and she thought they were so cute that she put them to swim in the barrel of water.  Only thing was - the barrel was drinking water for the family.  This was the first time that she ever saw ducklings and she and Sunita were laughing at how fast they were swimming.  They had so much fun that they decided to do the same with Auntie Bhano's 3 day old baby chickens.  Good thing I was just coming down the steps when they dropped the chicks in the water or Auntie Bjano would have had 4 or 5 dead chicks from drowning.  Sunita and Subhadra could not understand why ducklings could swim but chicks could not.  That really was very funny and if you can't get a visual of that, perhaps you had to be there. 

We are now having a siesta.  It's 30C but feels like 38C.  That's beyond hot.  Even the sand was scorching my feet.  I was trying to walk barefoot on the road but it felt like walking on hot tar.  How many of you remember those days when the tar trucks used to tar the roads in Guyana and sometimes the heat was so much that it melted the tar into soft puddles and some - like me - would stick our toes into the soft tar just to see if it was really soft.  Of course it was!!! It was hot everytime but we would do it again and again as if the next time the results would be different.  It never was.  I for one, would end up with burnt toes but I'd do it the next time.  Sometimes I got clever and tried it with my shoes or yachtings.  Well the inevitable would happen.  I would get tar stuck on the bottom of my yachtings and then try to walk home without making it touch the ground or else I would get small stones stuck to it and that would be worse because by the time it cooled on my shoes, it would be heck to scrape off.  Then we'd have to get out the kerosene. Man the dumb things I used to do. 

I'm reading a book called The Tipping Point (one of the 30 books to read before you're 30 [a bit too late for me]) and that might help to explain why I did that.  If you want to know, you'll have to read the book and then decipher this blog to get some insight.  I'll leave you with that for now...

Siesta time.. 

It is now later in the evening.  We went to Cocteleria Justicia Social (a co-op where several people own the fishing boats and the restaurant that sells the fresh catch)  We had the hugest snapper that is supposed to feed two people but two of us could only eat half of the fish.  It was literally hanging over the plate. The fish was very fresh and tasty and well worth the whole $10 that we paid for it. 

We went to the sqare and had our nightly treat of leche flan and churros but not from the same vendor who we usually buy from because he was closed.  We went to the one we bought from on the first night but it wasn't as good. The second vendor's churros are crunchy on the outside and soft and moist on the inside with an unhealthy (but delicious) sprinkling (more like drenching) of cinnamon sugar. Did I mention tha that I buy the real cinnamon when I come here?  I love to bake so I bought a whole lot of it.  The vendor thought I was buying it for cafe, but I am a sort of purist for a good cup of ground coffee with freshly ground beans so I rarely use my cinnamon for coffee.  Another bit of trivia: the cinnamon sticks we get in the stores rolled up like cigars are not the real cinnamon.  The real cinnamon bark is soft and smells much more fragrant and is so much more delicous than the other stuff.  When I went to Indonesia, I saw the cinnamon trees and a man showed me how they remove the bark (you have to do it carefully so the tree doesn't die but actually heals itself by making another layer of bark).  My friend Barry from Toronto also brings me back some real bark when he goes back to Jamaica.  A really good thing about cinnamon is that as little as 1/4 teaspoon a day has been shown to help keep diabetes in control.  I don't have diabetes but both parents have it so I am trying to do whatever I can to stave it off as long as possible.  Hence the walking, cinnamon and if I could stand the taste, neem tea but I can gladly leave that alone.

Okay, enough trivia.  I had some habanero picante (hot pepper) and it was fiery hot but I loved it.  Since dad can't eat pepper anymore, I'm taking his share along with mine.

Reminder: I am titling my posts with the subject of the day so if anyone is getting bored or doesn't want to read my general musings about life, please feel free to skip past and look for the content related to Dad and his illness.  As you can see, there is nothing to report today and as I mentioned previously, if I have something new or different to say, I'll post it.
Good night...
sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.