Pages

Monday, April 11, 2011

Time to leave Isla
I was going to get up at 6:30 but woke up at 6 instead so I cleaned up and was ready by 7am.  We were planning to take the 8am ferry but we managed to get the 7:30 ferry so we arrived in Cancun at 7:50 and the driver was waiting for us.

We are now at the airport waiting to check in to our flight.  We got here early but the flight counter was not yet open for the flight to Winnipeg so we are now having a latte from Starbucks.  I don't particularly like Starbucks coffee but the other option was to go into a cafe and order a full breakfast.  I don't know why they can't just say a large is a large - it's called a venti.  There's tall, grande, and venti and of course there are all the different combinations that you can get. It's like speaking another language and it all seems so pretentious.  

I made an interesting observation at the airport.  There are a lot of shoe shine men with their little kits offering to polish shoes for a nominal fee.  There were several men getting their shoes shined.  The shoe shine men were sitting on the floor and they had a small stool where the client can put his shoe while getting it shined.  I noticed, as I did when I was in Mexico City and other Mexican cities that business men have very shine shoes.  I love to see a man with very shiny shoes.  It makes a statement I think but the image of a man standing while he is getting is shoes polished by another sitting on the floor is a bit too subservient for me.  I am too uncomfortable with that image and I know that some of you would say that everyone has to earn a living and it's an honesty living.  I agree but when a man gets another to clean his shoes while he stands over him, I am not so comfortable with that.
I called home this morning and asked mom to cook some dhall and roti for me for supper.  You can't take the coolie out of the girl and as good as the food was in Isla, I can use some home cooking.  Mom said that she was going to cook that anyway along with spinach and okra.  I am looking forward to some of that.  I am not thinking about work.

It's now 7:30pm and I've been home for about an hour and a half.  It's good to be at home.  I called the hospice a few minutes ago and spoke to Nurse Shannon.  She said that Dad was very quiet today and that's how he's been spending the last several days  There has been no bleeding and no "shadowing" (I'm assuming that means light bleeding).  He was already asleep but she has to wake him to give him his evening meds because he hadn't taken them yet.

I'll go in the morning before I go to work.  I have a 9am workshop to facilitate so I won't be able to stay long but I am sure that Dad will notice that I am a bit more tanned than I was a few days ago.  Not sure if anyone but Eddie is reading this blog.  If you are,feel free to post a comment.

sandra

1 comment:

  1. hi sav got that right i read them all.From your blogs seem you had an enjoyable time on your vacation and your writing was exciting to read.
    will call you to talk a little about your trip, not sure when but i hope sometime this week [most nights i am out working]and i am sure you will need some rest after your vacation.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.