Pages

Monday, May 30, 2011

Hot Yoga-too hot!

For those of you still following my blog, I have just emerged from my month-long combat with paperwork, both at work and at home.  Having spent almost three weeks away from work in April, May was a challenge.

I had my first ever session of hot yoga yesterday and it was HOT, HOT, HOT!  I was okay for the fist 15 minutes but then again, I was lying on the mat and the class hadn't even started yet!  The class started at 10:30am and I was fine for the fist several poses (all standing ), then about 15 minutes into the workout, I could feel my had going dizzy and my eyes got wobbly. I thought about carrying on but that lasted for about 5 seconds before I told myself that it's better to sit down than fall down.  So I sat on my mat and after a minute, I was still dizzy so I lay on the mat on my back and I could fell myself feeling better.  So I got up and did some of the poses again before having to lie down again from the wave of dizziness.  And talk about sweating - or should I say "glistening."  When my girls were young, I used to tell them that girls and women don't sweat.  They glisten.  So I was glistening like crazy!

After 30 minutes of standing poses, the instructor then switched to sitting poses which was a lot more tolerable - at least I didn't feel like fainting.  I got through those poses with some degree of ease but I can't say that I thought my stretches were any more better than not being in a furnace-like room.  I was surprised when she said the class was over because that part wasn't as bad as the first part but then I may have gotten somewhat acclimatized with the heat.
I laid there for about 5 minutes and it was a cool feeling to step out into the room temperature area.  My hair looked like I had just taken a shower and had not dried my hair and of course I had no comb to fix it.  Sharm and I left a few minutes later and the early morning coolness in the air when I left home was suddenly refreshing with no coat and only my exercise clothes on.

A nice cool shower at home was just what I needed to complete the experience.  I have to say that I tried it but do I love it?  NO!  The instructor did say that the room was hotter than it usually is and the poses were intermediate and advanced so I was pleased that I actually stayed for the whole class.  My pleasure dissipated this morning when I talked to Sharm and she said her boss was surprised that I would even do the class because hot yoga is for young people.  I don't even know how to interpret that.  I thought yoga was for everyone and doing it in an overheated room is no more youthful than doing it in a room-temperature room.  And is he implying that I am old? Apparently he is a couple of years younger than me so I don't know what that means. Thanks Gar.  I'll have to invite you to join me on my half marathon walks.  

I'm glad that I didn't know the room was unusually hot, or that the poses were more difficult or that hot yoga was only for young people (whatever that means).  I felt a sense of accomplishment because I have heard that hot yoga is either something you love or something you dislike.  I don't love it at all but I can't say after one class that I dislike it.  So guess what?  I am going back for two more classes - Wed. and Friday - and then I'll decide whether this is something that I would do again. 

 I have tried to keep up with my training for my walk but I am not feeling as prepared as I want to be.  The plantar fasciitis is still quite a bother but I tell myself that if Dad had to deal with 2 major cancer surgeries and 42 sessions of radiation over the course of 5 years, then a 21k walk with an aching foot is tolerable if it means that the money I raise will go toward funding much needed research.  I am up to $1251 of my $2000 goal and I have 12 days to raise another $750.  Can I do it? Not without your help so share the challenge website with friends and family. In case you forgot, here it is: 

have a great week
sandra


 

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.