Thursday, June 16, 2011

I've finally recovered

Well that was a few days ago but I've been so busy with the conference in Phoenix that I have been brain dead at the end of each day to think coherently. 

My walk on Saturday went very well.  I think the course was longer than the 20k that it was supposed to be because of detours for construction.  The organizers had breakfast for the walkers which consisted of bagels, peanut butter and jam, fruit and fruit juice and coffee. I had part of a bagel and peanut butter, a sip of coffee and some water and I was ready to go at 9am.  They had some warm up sessions but I did my own warm up because their warm-up was mostly dancing which is alright but I needed to make sure that my calf muscles were going to take me the whole distance.  I was really worried about my right foot because it was paining all week but I also decided that I was going to walk as far as I could and if my foot bothered me sufficiently so that I was not able to complete the walk, I would be okay with that too. 

Well the walkers started out at exactly 9am and I was at the front part of the group.  I plugged in my iPod and started to the beat of my walking songs.  By the time I got to the first water station, I was actually surprised because I didn't think I had walked so far.  My foot was feeling fine and the weather was not too hot so I took off my cap.because my head was beginning to sweat.

The distance to the second water station as also quick and I was still feeling good. A couple of people overtook me but I was still mostly ahead of the rest of the 700 walkers. I think I may have had about 20 people ahead of me.  I kept that pace for almost the entire walk but did have a few people catch up to me occasionally when I had to wait for traffic lights. I thought about running across the red lights but there were volunteers at the intersections with lights so they made sure that we waited.  As soon as we crossed, I walked past the people who had caught up to me. 

By the time I got to the last water station which was about 2.5 kms from the finish line, my right foot was starting to throb but not sufficiently that I felt like stopping.  I could feel myself stumble when it hurt a few times but I kept going.  By the last km, I could feel that I wanted the end to come soon but as soon as I turned the last corner and could see the park gate, I felt energized again because people were cheering and clapping for me. I had no idea who they were but since I was one of the first few to arrive, they were pumped so that made me feel that I had done something really important.  I crossed the finish line and got my Tshirt (I have quite a collection from this and other events) and I got a free 10 minute massage.  That felt really good because by that time I had taken off my runners and my right foot was hurting so badly that I thought I wasn't going be able to make it to the car.  I sat and stretched out the foot a bit and limped to the pavilion to wait for Robin. 

I made it home with my sore foot and spent half an hour icing it.  Then a shower and a not very restful nap that lasted almost two hours (if my foot could scream, it would).  Surprisingly, no where else was hurting which was a good thing.  

I went to bed early (around 9pm) and woke up at 4:30am to go to the airport for my 7:15am flight to Phoenix.  By the time I boarded the plane from Calgary to Phoenix, I could feel my muscles stiffening  up from sitting on the plane so I got up and walked around and did some stretches in my seat and didn't care if the other passengers thought I looked weird.  I arrived in Phoenix with a very sore foot and some stiff muscles but the hotel was beautiful so I told myself that I would enjoy the facilities (hot tubs and swimming pools). 

I got a room in the main building and it was not very nice (second floor overlooking a rooftop) so I asked for another room in the garden area with a balcony.  Well I got a perfect room - balcony, pool and hot tub just outside my door - but only thing was that it was about a 7-8 minute walk to the conference room.  Now, ordinarily that's not a bad thing.  I can use the walk but try doing that in heels and a sore foot and you soon find out that you'd trade the long walk for a room without a view.  Okay, this begs the question - why heels when my foot is sore.  If you have to ask that question, you are a man.  I f you know the answer, you're a woman and you know that vanity precedes pain.  

As it turns out, I was able to manage the walk without too much pain and the hot tub helped quite a bit for an all over therapy.  The temperature in Phoenix was about 40C (100F) so even the regular pool felt like a hot tub; nevertheless, it was a joy to be sitting in the warm water.  By Tuesday I was feeling quite fine and as I said, except for the pain in my foot, I am fully recovered from the walk and planning my next one.  Where that will be, I don't know but I'll think of something soon.  I have to have a goal in mind to keep walking or else I'll find some reason to slack off.  

As for the reason I went to Phoenix in the first place - the conference - that'll be another post.  Have a good weekend and for those of you who are fathers, enjoy the day with your family.  If you have a father still here with you, remember to let him know that he's important to you - in whatever way you can.  This is the first year without Dad so that'll be different.  I won't say more because I don't know what to say.  When the day comes, I'll deal with it.

Happy Father's Day to all you fathers and for all you mothers who oftentimes have to take on the role of father. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.