Pages

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

More foot pain than required.

 So yesterday I went to a podiatrist and he finally diagnosed several issues with my foot.  The good news is that I don't have any broken bones or fractures.  The not-so-good news?  I have plantar fasciitis, posterior tibial tendonitis and tenosynovitis.  Below are three pictures of the injuries.

Posterior Tibial Tendonitis
Posterior Tibial tendonitis
The symptoms of posterior tibial tendon dysfunction include pain in the instep area of the foot and swelling along the course of the tendon. The athlete may also experience pain and swelling right behind the inner ankle bone. There is usually pain when the area is touched along the course of the posterior tibial tendon behind the inner ankle. There may also be burning, shooting, tingling, stabbing pain often because the main nerve is inflamed along the inside of the ankle. Athletes experience pain when exercising or even just walking, steadily worsening toward the end of the day. In severe cases there is significant pain when the athlete moves his/her foot, as well as pain upon passive stretching of the posterior tibial tendon, and on eversion or flattening of the foot. In some cases the tendon may actually rupture or tear, due to weakening of the tendon by the inflammatory process.

Plantar Fasciitis
Plantar Fasciitis
Symptoms of plantar fasciitis include pain and tenderness of the bottom (sole) of the foot. This can lead to difficulty in weight-bearing on the involved foot, making it difficult to walk especially the first steps after awakening from sleep. The pain is burning, often sharp, and can be severe. Plantar fasciitis is sometimes also associated with warmth and swelling of the bottom of the foot. The symptoms may come on gradually or appear following an athletic activity



Symptoms include constant pain or pain with motion, limited motion of the ankle, a "crackling" sound when the tendon moves or is touched, and heat and redness over the inflamed tendon.


I now have a lovely, very clunky cast to wear for 4-6 weeks. It looks like this: 

Darco FX Pro Walker High Boot in Classic Black
Foot cast
I know some of you may be thinking that the cancer walk last week was not a good idea given that I've had these issues for the last 5 months but I wanted to do the walk and now I can attend to my foot.  Fortunately when I went to the store this morning to purchase the cast, the salesperson who helped me is also an athletic therapist so I have an appointment with her tomorrow to start an aggressive therapy treatment which hopefully will get me out of the cast in less than 4 weeks.  She said the treatment is going to be painful but since I've been dealing with pain for the last 5 months anyway, at least this pain will lead to getting the issues resolved. 

I'll have to do more biking than walking but that's alright.  I like biking. So that's my next four weeks.  What is yours looking like?

sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.