Pages

Thursday, July 28, 2011

 You may say I'm a dreamer...

Yesterday I was doing my lunchtime walk by myself because my walking partner Barb is on vacation this week.  I plugged in my iPod and walked for almost 45 minutes and because I wasn't busy talking, I took the time to look at some of the headstones in the cemetery that I walk through.  Now, I know you are asking yourself why I would choose to walk through a cemetery but the Brookside cemetery is near the college and offers quite peaceful and great paths (which are really small roads through the cemetery).  In the summer it's quite pretty with people bringing flowers for their loved ones. 

During my periodic stops, I saw some really old headstones - some dating back more than 100 years.  I wonder what stories those people would have told about Winnipeg and the surrounding communities.  There were some sections for children - some as young as a few months (at least the ones that I read).  I can't imagine losing a child, much less one that is so young.  I sometimes think about how fortunate I am that my kids were not sick when they were growing up and the same can be said for my grandbabies.  I hope it stays that way.

The children's sections were sad enough but for the first time since I have been walking through the cemetery in more than two years, I really noticed the Fields of Honour. These sections are for all the fallen soldiers and there are a lot of them. It was quite a sight to see rows and rows of headstones.  It makes you wonder what the point of wars are.  People fight for the stupidest reasons and the lives that are lost are the worst tragedy of all. 

I have never had to live through a war.  The closest I came was when I was a child and we had the riots in Georgetown in the 1960's.  That was scary enough.  Losing a loved one in what seems like a pointless endeavour must be harder.  Anyway, it made me think of all the ways in which I am lucky and my music seemed much more meaningful.  It seems rather apropos that the song that was playing on my iPod when I walked out the cemetery was Imagine by John Lennon.  In case you don't know the lyrics or have forgotten them, here they are:

Imagine:

Imagine there's no Heaven

It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world

You may say that I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.