Congratulations to you and to your daughter Eddie (and of course the rest of the family) on the birth of her second child - baby Musa. It must be an especially auspicious time to be born during the month of Ramadan.
As I understand it, during the month of Ramadan, God revealed the first five books of the Qur'an to Prophet Muhammad. Muslims who live by the 5 Pillars of Islam are expected to fast during this time as a way of spiritually cleansing themselves. The Five Pillars are:
- Shahada - the belief that there is only one God - Allah - and Muhammad is his messenger
- Salat -5 daily prayers at dawn, noon, afternoon, sunset and evening
- Sawm - ritual fasting, fasting for repentance and ascetic fasting
- Zakat - obligatory charitable giving based on accumulated wealth
- Hajj - pilgrimage to the holy city of Mecca