Pages

Thursday, August 18, 2011

The miracle of castor oil!

By now most of you know that I am dealing with some issues with my foot for several months.  After all this time with visits to my doctor, 2 chiropractors, an athletic therapist, a podiatrist and a naturopath, there have been no significant improvements.  I have not been able to walk long distances nor at the speed that I usually walk at for marathon training, so needless to say, it has also affected my mood.  I am doing aquasizes and yoga but don't feel that I am getting sufficient of a workout to feel fit, hence the moodiness although no one else seems to notice that. (I think).  This week I committed riding my bike every day for at least 10kms.  I've been doing about 15k each day and that is making me feel 100% better in terms of my mood and the great part is that it doesn't hurt my foot. 

Anyway, where I was going with this story is: I frequently receive emails from two websites - a walking website and an alternative health website - that are quite good.


Well I decided to try the castor oil pack because at this point, I have nothing to lose.  I bought some castor oil from the drug store on Tuesday and went home and tried it that evening according to the directions below:

Castor oil pack:
•Make a small pad by folding a small piece of unbleached cotton flannelette into 3 or 4 layers.
•Dip the cotton pad into Castor Oil and place it on to the affected joint or muscle.
•Cover the pad with a plastic wrap.
•Place a hot water bottle or heating pad over the plastic wrapped cotton pad. The plastic wrap will prevent the water bottle or heating pad from getting oily.
•Leave the cotton pad on for 45 minutes to an hour, once per day.

This Castor Oil pack can be reused. Simply place it into a plastic ziplock bag and refrigerate it until it is ready to be used again. It can be refrigerated in a ziplock bag.

While I had to pack on, I felt a horrible throbbing and pulsing at the site where I usually feel the most pain. There were a couple of times when I wanted to remove the pack because it was hurting so much but I endured and after an hour I removed the pack, wiped the excess oil off my foot and  I stood up and announced that I was cured (much like people do when they go to a faith healer). But the oddest thing happened.

When I started to walk, there was very little of the pain I was feeling an hour before.  I felt embarrassed that I was so mocking moments before but there was really very little pain.  I went to bed thinking that it was psychosomatic but the physical pain was hardly there.  Yesterday morning I got up and for the first time in almost 7 months, I did not have to hop on  to the bathroom favouring my right foot.

I tried the pack again last night and same thing.  The pain was hardly there.  This morning I got up and my foot was sore but not unbearable so I tried the pack for about 20 minutes and by the time I got to work, it was hurting less.  I don't know how it is working but it seems to be working to relieve the pain - at least for the last day and a half.    

I am going to a sports injury doctor the day after I return from my Alaskan cruise so hopefully, he'll be able to do something to help me.  I am beginning to think that I have an undiagnosed stress fracture. I've had no xrays but apparently that would not show a stress fracture.  A bone scan will do that so I may ask for one because I can almost pinpoint one specific area that is hurting and when that gets bad, the pain radiates to my whole heel.  Not good for walking long distances like I did in June for the 21k Cancer walk but that was for a good cause.

So castor oil is my miracle cure for today.  I may try to for growing long eyelashes and for getting rid of my wrinkles.  Apparently it' supposed to be good for that too. I'll let you know how that works.  I know for sure it works as a labour inducer.  When I was pregnant with Subhadra, she was 6 days late and Mom suggested that I take some castor oil to induce labour.  The thought of having to drink a thick sludge like castor oil should have been enough to induce labour (memories of growing up in Guyana and having to take that as a "clean out," although we were spared that revulsion), but alas it was not so I drank some and within an hour, I was in labour.  Disgusting stuff but it worked.  She was born a few hours later.  As long as I don't have to ingest it, I'm willing to try it.  Something just occurred to me: if your skin is the largest organ in the body and the skin absorbs meds and other stuff, will you get the same laxative effect if you apply it externally? 

I have to go...  :(( 
haha!
sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.