Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Happy Mother's Day

To all those mothers who worked tirelessly to raise their families and for all those men who take care of their children as a mother would do. Here is a beautiful mother's day present for me. Robin was forking the garden a few days ago and as he plunged his fork into the soil, he heard a squeak like a rubber duck. He looked down and this is what he saw! - three baby bunnies in a nest in the clear open garden. I went out to look at them and they were barely visible but today when I went back out, they had grown quite a bit already but still not big enough to be walking. Here they are with their little pointed ears.
There are actually two burrows and the other one has babies too but they are more hidden so I can't tell how many there are. The problem with having 6 babies is that I probably won't be able to plant my garden for some time because the area they are in is fenced in with chicken wire that has been pushed down with the snow over the winter and the mother bunnies got in and made their nests. When the babies are old enough to walk and run, they'll be in the fenced in area so they won't be able to leave unless we lift the chicken wire - which then makes them open to preys.

I should also mention that we have a nest of robins with 4 babies! There are also 4 mallards and the 6 doves that frequent the yard each day to feed. I know the mallards have a nest close by but I am not sure where. The yard is looking more and more like a nesting place and I have to say that although I don't really want 6 bunnies destroying my garden, I have encouraged them for the last 25 years by feeding them over the winter. I am attracting lots of other kinds of birds like the blue, yellow and red-headed blackbirds, orioles, yellow finches, lots of sparrows and red winged blackbirds. Some of the other ones I am not sure of but they are beautiful and I love waking up to their sounds in the early morning.

I hope your Mother's Day was good. Mine was very quiet - the first one where I actually felt rested and relaxed.
Sandra 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.