Pages

Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Happy 60th Birthday Chead!

I was in Toronto for the July long weekend attending my friend Chead's 60th birthday. This birthday was more like a wedding.  Beatrice (we have been friends since 1965 when we started in Form 1 together) and Chead (he was in one form higher than us) looked like a bride and groom.  He looked very flashy and handsome with his wedding like kurta and her langa could outdo any bride's.

What was fabulous about the pooja was how many people attended whose relationship with both Beatrice and Chead date back to early childhood. There were many people who are originally from Cumming's Lodge (where we attended school) and Industry (the next village where there was really do dividing line). The other beautiful thing was that some of our classmates were there on Saturday - Joe, Mercedes, Racey, Georgie, Satyanand, and me of course. When you leave your country of birth and settle in another country, it can be years before you meet people you've spent the most impressionable years of your life with. So it's a rare and delightful treat to meet up with everyone. I feel blessed that after almost 5 decades, my friendship with all these people is as strong as ever. We don't see each other as often as I would like to but when we do, it's as if no time had passed. In the last six months I have been fortunate to meet Amna in Florida, and to see Joe, Bonny, Paul, Prak, Albert, Annie, Beatrice, Mercedes, Racey, Satyanand, Georgie in Toronto. Many of them live in the Toronto area but some had to travel from the US to be here.  

The picture below was one that was taken in April - 3 days after my exam so we were celebrating. These were my friends who knew me as an 11 year-old who loved to play sports and did not take school very seriously. I can now admit that I was so un-serious about school that I once got 3/100 in Latin. I think that was worse than 0. I can still conjugate the verb "amā́re" even though I can think of no use for it unless I was planning to go into the priesthood (impossible for a woman anyway). I could give that as a reason for doing so bad but the truth is that I had more interesting things to do at school - like visit with my friends, play on all the sports teams and be a social butterfly in general.


April 2012: L to R: Prak, Bonny, Paul, Albert, Joe, Beatrice, Annie, Savitree
July 2012: Beatrice, Chead and family

July 2012: L to R: Mercedes, Beatrice, Savitree

July 2012: Beatrice and Chead getting emotional

July 2012: L to R: Georgie, Savitree, Joe

As you can see, the reunion was a great success and the birthday party a greater success. It's wonderful to have lifelong friends that still care about each other. My love and sincerest thanks for making the effort to meet.

sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.