Pages

Sunday, May 05, 2013

Lisbon, Portugal: Oceanario de Lisbon; Flight to Azores

One more morning in Lisbon until we leave for Ponta Delgada so we decided to go to the aquarium. The group agreed that we would go four each in taxis to arrive at 10am and spend about 3 hours seeing the aquarium. It was quite massive and represented the four oceans. We had a little incident which ordinarily would not have bothered me but it did. I mentioned that we make arrangements to go to the museum and we would all meet at 1 pm outside to entrance to go back to the hotel the same way we went there - by taxi in groups of 4. I was done about 12:10pm and went to wait at the entrance/exit. I waited until 1:15pm for the group but didn't see anyone. I concluded that the entire group was either very late or I may have misunderstood the meeting arrangements. I reluctantly left the aquarium and went back to the hotel only to discover that the entire group spent about 1 hour going through the aquarium (don't ask me what they would have seen in that time) and finished around 11:30am. The group leader decided that the group would leave without me. The reason? Apparently I am a well-seasoned traveller and would have no problem finding my way back to the hotel. I did but I guess for me it was a matter of courtesy - beyond the obvious arrangements we had made earlier in the day. When I went to the hotel's dining room, most of the group had almost finished eating lunch. Several people kept asking what happened to me but I decided that I should say as little as possible because anything that I would have said at that moment would not have been kind to the person asking nor the group leader who didn't seem concerned in the least that I was left behind. Needless to say, the incident marred the aquarium visit somewhat. Fortunately I have some beautiful pictures to remind me that the day was not entirely lost.
















video


Later in the evening we left for Ponta Delgada, Azores. We missed the religious celebrations that was taking place that afternoon but I have to say, with the weather wickedly cold and rainy, and some luggage that didn't arrive with the flight (causing some delays), most of the group were not sorry. Late that evening, we went to the square but it was too cold to want to do anything so we went back to the hotel for a good night's sleep. I did take some pictures of the church in the sqaure where the festival was held and it was quite pretty.





sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.