Pages

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

TransCanada Trail: Walking the TransCanada Trail, Winnipeg

Distance : 85 kms

TransCanada Trail - Winnipeg
In anticipation of my trip to climb Mount Kilimanjaro in October, Sharm and I have decided to walk the TransCanada Trail in Winnipeg. The total distance is about 85 kilometres. I would encourage you to read about the trail which is the longest such trail in the world (24,000 kms.) yes, that's twenty four thousand kilometres! 

We hope to start at the end of May and do about 10kms once every weekend until it's covered. I'm looking forward to the walks with Sharm. We plan to go every Sunday morning starting at 8 or 8:30 and depending on how fast we walk, we should be done in under 2 hours. Usually when I train for half marathons, I am timing myself but in this case, I am less concerned with time and more concerned with endurance.

Most of you know that Winnipeg is pretty flat so there won't be any hill training but some of the trails are covered with gravel or wood chips and some of the surfaces may be uneven. That will allow me to get used to using my walking poles and hiking boots and to gauge when I will feel fatigued. At some point, I will also wear a backpack packed with the appropriate amount of weight that I will be expected to carry while I am on the mountain. That should be about 15 pounds including water.

Barring any weekend plans that get in the way, we should be done by the end of July or early August.  Follow us each week to see how far we've walked. You are welcome to join us and if you can't do it in person, join us in your city/town but be sure to let me know.

Happy (walking) Trails
Sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.