Pages

Thursday, March 06, 2014

This is what I was doing in Mexico!

While I was relaxing in Mexico this year, I finished a project that I started more than 8 years ago. Yes, that's right. EIGHT YEARS!
 
This is a picture of my grandbaby Belle, who is going to be 11 this year. I started this when she was a little over two years year old. I was nursing a back injury from lifting too many suitcases (my job in international education) and I had a lot of time on my hands. I worked furiously for about two months on a counted cross stitch picture of her that I had graphed from a company that can turn any image into a stitchable picture.
 
I had two options - one with 38 colours and the other with 48 colours. For those of you who know me, you will have guessed that I chose the one with 48 colours and then chose a fabric that requires cross stitches which are about a 6 point font (type a 6-point font and see the size). I spent about two months working on the picture and it was so tiring that I left it aside and decided to do something a bit easier. Sooooo, I went back to school and did a master's degree, then a PhD, then I wrote a 224 page book and finally I completed the picture while I was in Mexico this year.
 
As you can see from the actual picture on the left, it is a remarkable likeness of her. Her face alone required over 15 colours of thread to get the shading just right. I am proud of the picture.
 
 



Now I just have to do another 3 for Hana, Breen and Ronin. That should take me till they have grandchildren of their own to complete. But first, I have to decide on a picture. That's the great thing about a project like this. I get to revisit many, many old pictures of them trying to decide on just the right one. What fun!



sandra

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.