It's spring in Winnipeg but you can hardly tell from the weather. The snow is gone but there is snow mold to contend with. It's supposed to start raining this afternoon and end on Thursday and I am looking forward to it. Spring rains are like a cleansing ritual - always evoking a slow warming of the soil and the promise of new life with the bursting forth of new leaves and blossoms.
Sometimes we should remind ourselves to look at life through the eyes of a child and remember the pleasure we felt when we could tramp through a mud puddle or with me, jumping into the trenches to catch a long string of tadpoles or spending time watching a thunderstorm with my two favourite people - my sister Bena and my brother Karran - each with our favourite comfort food - a bowl of barley soup with chicken, potatoes and fluffy dumplings. That was life as a child. Here are 25 other reasons to love a rainy day.
Courtesy of Erin Michelle Threlfall of Huffpost Healthy Living
How to Find the Wow on a Rainy Day:
2. Dance in some puddles and have some fun! No music? Don't worry! Let the splash of the puddles create your beat.
3. Take your shower in the rain. Be one with nature, and save the 12 gallons that you would use if you took your shower at home.
4. Have a raindrop race. Look out your window and select two of the raindrops that are slipping down the glass. Watch to see which one wins. You could even invite a friend to join in on this one.
5. Let the colors of the day surprise you. Just open your eyes and pay attention to how different the colors of the world look on a rainy day.
6. Watch the raindrop ripples. If you live near an ocean, lake or river, watch how the raindrops fall. If you don't, watch the ripples inside the puddles.
7. Let the rain wash away your grumpiness. Is there really more to say about that?
8. Drink hot tea or hot cocoa. Warm things in a great mug will warm up your spirits.
9. Pretend you are a spy and dodge the raindrops. You might look weird, but you'll have fun. Still worried? Just go back to #1: Today is your day to be a funky monkey.
10. Find the sun behind the clouds. Look for the way the sun creates shadows, and see if you can find cracks of light.
11. Twirl your umbrella behind you when you walk. If you are tempted to sing "Singin' in the Rain," just go for it!
12. Just go with the day. No umbrella? Get soaked! Have fun!
13. Collect the raindrops in a bucket. You'll be amazed how much water you get for your plants.
14. Find your reflection in the puddles. The world is your mirror!
15. Ride a bicycle and listen for the awesome SWISSSHHHHH! The bicycle lane will be clear and you will be able to ride faster than usual.
16. Collect raindrops on your tongue. Again, go back to #1.
17. Stay in and cozy up with a good book.
18. Meditate to the sound of the rain. You'll be amazed at how calming it is.
19. Take out your camera and snap some pictures. Nature is beautiful in the rain, and so are city streets. Snap away!
20. Write a poem about the rain. Here's a Haiku to get you started.
Umbrellas open up wide
Rainy days are fun
22. Be an investigator. If it's foggy, guess what's on the other side and then check it out.
23. Recite Shakespeare in the rain. Because, why not?
24. Make some rainy day art. Be creative and have fun!
25. Keep a journal of rainy day wows. You can look back and appreciate it when you need to be reminded of goodness.
Enjoying my rainy day in Zanzibarsandra