Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Mexico: Catch of the day - straight from the ocean

This is how I start my day in Los Ayala. Get up early, but not too early, clean up and get dressed - which consists of shorts and a tank top, and no shoes or makeup. Sometimes I may even comb my hair - but only if I feel like it. Then off I go, down the spiral staircase at the front of our condo to another short set of stairs from the upper deck to the lower deck and the beach, then I do an hour's walk up and down the beach (25-30 minutes from end to end depending on how wet or dry the sand is). Then I go back to the condo for some pesos and head off to the fishing boats to buy fish or shrimp for the day's meal or ceviche. 





It's hard to decide what kind of fish to get. There is red or grey snapper in various sizes and Dorado or mahi-mahi. There is also shark and some other fish which I don't recognize. It's all so good. Shrimp comes in various sizes as well and it is so fresh that we have to take them home and soak them in water for a few hours to remove some of the salt from the ocean. We made ceviche today and with fresh lime juice and loads of cilantro and jalapenos, I was in total heaven. 

The fishermen (and women) will gut and fillet the fish if  you ask them but I like the whole fish to BBQ and I use the fillets in curry. I brought some of my own masala and used it in guacamole. First time to do that but it was delicious! That's Guyanese/Mexican fusion food. I might have to include that in my recipe book. Loving Los Ayala. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.