Pages

Monday, February 02, 2015

My new stand-up workstation

My commitment to health continues. In the last year I was doing some research on stand-up workstations and I've considered a few - including a treadmill workstation. A few months ago, I started working from home one day a week and improvised an at-home treadmill workstation. I took a leaf from my dining room table and put it across the handles of my treadmill. I put my laptop on top and I can now walk and work at the same time. I've found that if I need to type, I cannot exceed 2 miles per hour. If I am reading on the screen, I can walk at 2.5 mph. I set an incline of 2 or 3% and can maintain that at either speed for a slightly more strenuous workout. I don't really mind not going fast because at the end of a few hours, I have walked about 6,000-8.000 steps. I try for 10,000 each day. 

A treadmilll workstation would not work at work because I didn't have the space. But I applied for and got a new job so my new office has enough space to utilize a stand-up workstation. I did some more research and found this one by Varidesk. I bought the Pro Plus because it can fit dual monitors and so far, it's working great (it's only been a couple of days). I also bought the comfort mat which is nicely cushioned so I am not standing on the hard floor for long periods of time. I even downloaded the app which reminds when to stand and when to sit (based on my personalized settings). The levers on each side that moves it up or down are easy to use. 



Since sitting for long periods of time (even if you exercise daily) is the smoking, I am giving up my verison of smoking and have decided to stand for 40 of every 60 minutes. I just have to remember to sit! 

2 comments:

  1. I have heard a lot about stand-up workstations recently and the health benefits that they bring. Kudos to you for incorporating this into your office, I may have to try it myself in my home office. I couldn't imagine working on a treadmill though, I'd probably fall off and find it too distracting! I guess it could be okay if you walked slowly though.

    Raymond @ CKS Global Solutions LTD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment Raymond. I love my stand-up workstation. I sometimes use a makeshift treadmill workstation at home which works but I do have to walk slowly.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.