Pages

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Day 12/31: NO-ADDED-SUGAR - another success

Day 12 and the going is not easy but it is definitely not getting any harder. My cousin Eddy tried to tempt me with some metegee yesterday but I was not feeling the love. I am not sure What I saw was a picture full of sugar mimics - yams, cassava and dumplings. Those are all the things I like to eat but I am getting a lesson in rethinking just what I eat when it's not refined sugar.

I realize that although I think I eat very healthy, I overload on sugar mimics - that's my new phrase to describe the type of carbs that I like to eat - the kinds that spike your blood sugar. I did not coin the phrase. I am borrowing it from the book I am reading about being sugar smart. I am having quite a time educating myself about sugars and sugar mimics. This is much like I did many years ago to cut back drastically on salt and I managed to do that. Now it's time to clean up the sugar. 

I told my doctor that I will be back at the end of March for a blood test that will indicate a lower AIC number and if it does not, then I will have to consider myself a diabetic statistic and start taking meds to lower my blood glucose. But I will know it was not because I did not try to do it with my diet. I can't change my genetics of two diabetic parents but I don't have to succumb without effort. 

Today was another crazy day and after work, it was a meeting that lasted most of the afternoon. Then I came home to brand new hardwood floor in the living and dining rooms but alas, I had to get on my hands and knees and damp wipe the floor followed by dry wiping. It looks great but not that you can tell. Here's what it looks like: 




We are getting new carpets in the rest of the house so underlay and carpet is sitting in the living room and furniture and boxes are stacked in living and dining rooms - making for a giant mess. This is not a good time for such a mess because I spent most of the evening working on computer related stuff for Sunday's Interfaith event. 

Tomorrow is another day and just before going for my shower I realized that I have not completed my steps for today. There will be a tomorrow but that will for sure be a challenge because I have back to back meetings and engagements from 8:30 AM to 7:30 PM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.