Pages

Wednesday, January 06, 2016

Day 6/31: NO-ADDED-SUGAR day completed

Now that I am doing my 31 days of no-added-sugar, I am hearing a lot about the impact of sugar in our diets. I am not sure if this is 2016 version of the "Low fat" craze of the 90s or the "lower your salt intake" of the early 2000s. I was not a big salt eater but I did lower my salt intake about 10 years ago and now I really can't eat salty foods or even foods with too much salt. 

Today I was listening to the news on CBC and the journalist referenced a study in the UK 
Linking between sugary drinks and obesity and how the government is planning to tax soft drinks. He also noted that the AVERAGE CANADIAN CHILD CONSUMES ABOUT 33 TEASPOONS OF SUGAR EACH DAY FROM JUICE AND SOFT DRINKS!   It is hard to believe. 33 teaspoons. That's about 3/4 of a cup of sugar - each day!  

I used to subscribe to a newsletter called Nutrition Action (Canadian version). It was one of the best health newsletters I ever subscribed to. They take no government or private funding  so they are completely independent and give the best information. They are also great advocates for healthy eating in every form. Unfortunately the Canadian version is no longer viable (as of last month) but if you can subscribe to the US version which is not the same but would likely be helpful generally. Check out some of the archived articles anyway - which are free. 

Now for my report of my day today. I had a great breakfast of sardines and toast. Yes. Sardines. For. Breakfast. And I make sure I brushed my teeth again before leaving for work. So no sardine breath at work. 

It was a busy day of back to back meetings but I did manage to go for my lunch time walk with my colleagues. If I aim to complete 6,000 steps at work each day, I'll only have to do another 5,500 when I get home. So that's going to be my goal each day. Not always successful - especially with all day meetings but I am going to make every effort to do that. 

For lunch, I had some black bean pasta and chicken stirfry and my chia parfait with raspberries and black berries. For a mid afternoon snack, I had some cut up carrots and feta/kefir dip and half a clementine (similar to tangerine). Not mandarin oranges. Don't like those. I love the Moroccan clementines best but they are hard to source. The California ones are a reasonable substitute. 

On my way home, I was feeling a bit peckish so I opened a bag of crunch peas (from Costco and only 100 calories per pack) and nibbled on those. For dinner, I had curried chicken and roti. Preferred that over rice. As I said, I am doing no added sugar but that is not the same as no carbs, although I eat whole grain carbs when I do. I am trying to eat more veggies - at least for this month. If I am successful, I'll continue next month. 

It's 9:30 PM and no sugar was added. As an added pat on the back, I've reached my 11,507 steps and will likely do another 500 before I go into bed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.