Pages

Saturday, January 09, 2016

Day 9/31: a Cold NO-ADDED-SUGAR day

It is mighty cold today! Minus 41C. Is it really that cold? Yes it is. It's Winnipeg after all. 

I thought back to yesterday and wondered why I was so hungry in the afternoon. I concluded that I did not have sufficient breakfast to start the day and throughout the day, I did not drink enough fluids. I usually have a cup of coffee at breakfast and if I have another one, it's about 10:00 am. 

I think it was more thirst rather than hunger I was feeling in the afternoon, and instead of drinking a large cup of tea or water, I had a cup of coffee instead (a bit of a a diuretic) and didn't even drink all of it. I came home and had a piece of cheese but again, nothing to drink. The slight saltiness of the cheese may have contributed to my thirst too. Finally, after making an avocado and almond milk shake, I felt full. This bit of reflection on yesterday is hopefully going to make me recognize thirst and not confuse it with hunger. 

This morning, I decided that I would spend the day reading but of course I decided to bake.This time some mini quiches but with no crust. It turned out wonderfully and of  I am collecting almond meal from the almond milk I am making so I dry and make almond flour with it. I have to find creative ways to use it. Hence the crustless quiches. This one had a small amount of smoked turkey, spinach, onion, feta cheese, almond meal, garlic chives, cheddar cheese and of course eggs seasoned with salt, pepper, parsley and powdered chives. I made the powdered chives from dehydrating a whole lot of chives from my garden this fall and it provides a nice hit of mild onion flavour in dishes without the chunks of onions.   

Mini quiche with almond meal

With feta cheese

A bit of cheddar

Yummy baked crustless mini quiche 

Ready to eat. Yum! 
I watched my usual cooking shows on PBS while enjoying a real fire in my fireplace. I read another recipe book about sugar-free cooking and baking. This was a bit of a waste of time because the substitutes they use have equal amounts of fructose as regular sugar. Naturally occurring sugar in dried fruit is still a large amount of sugar and because it's called honey or maple syrup does not mean it's not sugar. I also spent some time reviewing accreditation documents in preparation for my visit to Jamaica in two weeks.  All in all, it was a good day despite the cold weather. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment. I love to read them.